Saturday, July 26, 2008

I wasn't gone for long

A few quick shots, courtesy of my mom, an occasional commenter here. Here we are pulling the truck into our old front yard, my dad is directing me back. He did a fantastic job.
All magically loaded up, now the truck is at our new house. Here you can see our super duper friends that today, doubled as our moving crew. They were absolutely awesome and we owe them big time. We got our whole three bedroom house moved in under four hours.
And this is one of my mom's shots of our fabulous bur oak (Quercus macrocarpa). It is huge. Our house is two stories, a good 18 feet tall probably. She did a fantastic job of capturing the massiveness of this specimen tree. It mesmerizes me as we sit on the deck and look up at it. It is quite awesome.

And here is my brother and I last weekend scraping away wallpaper glue from our family room wall. This is the project that I've been blogging about so much. That same wall now has a layer of primer on it and several layers of joint compound. It is quite amazing for me to look back at this shot and think just how much work I've done.

We're in the house. My new blogging locale is in my basement, which several of our movers and even my aunt labeled "The Man Cave". I miss my little back bedroom that looked out on the backyard, but I think I'll be able to figure something out. Like getting the laptop to actually connect to our wireless router, and then I can blog from the backyard. That would be cool.

For those of you that don't know the Columbus area, we've moved about three miles north of our house in the beechwold neighborhood to the city of Worthington, which predates the city of Columbus, although now this little burb is mostly surrounded by Columbus. We're in the suburbs, sort of. Our house was built in 1966, really when suburbs were just starting to ramp up. I'm not a five minute walk from the river anymore, but I am a five minute bike ride. We'll be getting out and exploring more of the Olentangy as time allows. It should be great fun. And there sure is plenty of work around the house. Boxes to unpack, things to organize, and of course, I can't forget about that little family room project I started!

Tom

P.S. I uploaded these pictures at full resolution. Clicking them will reveal the entire image with more detail.


9 comments:

  1. it looks lovely, tom. Congratulations!

    I bet you'll spend a lot of time near that tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That room is really quite blue.

    I also love how Tim is suited up appropriately but you're living dangerously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom: Congrats on a quick move, oh how I remember those moves. I counldn't do it any longer with the bad knees. It looks like a wonderful place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wren-

    Thank you. Yes. And, you'll be very happy to know that our house also came with homes for birds as well. Just this morning I was taking pictures of our house WRENS!

    Yeah, isn't it? Crazy. Tim has paint sprayers at home, so he has paint suits. They're pretty cool. He also brought his fancy respirator but after about ten minutes, he decided that it was very hot and that he didn't need it.

    Guy-

    Yeah, that is what we were saying. This is going to be our last move where we do it ourselves.

    Tom

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations and isn't it wonderful to have good friends when it is time to move? Will look forward to you sitting on the patio blogging while staring at the bur oak :-) Three cheers for wireless! You may get so distracted by the tree and whatever creatures that live in it that you never get any work done :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like the move went well - it's lovely when you have a lot of help like that, isn't it? makes it all so much more bearable. And lucky you to have such a fabulous oak outside your home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations & enjoy. How nice that you had so many helpers! Blessings to your new place!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Mary, it is wonderful to have great friends that will do hard work for you. They worked super hard and they are all fantastic.

    Thanks Bird- Yes, the oak has really has been mesmerizing so far.

    Thanks Lana- I was photographing some of our neighbors today.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had so much fun helping you move this weekend into your new house. It was a lot of work, but so much fun to see you happy in your new home. The meals on the deck overlooking your beautifully shaded back yard by the magnificent oak were so calming and fun. You will have many more, I'm sure. Thanks for using the pictures, they look better on your blog! And the tree, it truly is MESMERIZING!!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete